The great Twitter hack is a serious development in the Cyber Security scenario that has many implications.
It has highlighted
- that the security of Twitter is not good enough for the level of its operations and the sensitivity of its operations
- the foolishness of many Indian Banks who had adopted to “Twitter Banking” using twitter messages to trigger Banking transactions
- that Social Media is never to be trusted with or without deep fakes
- Bitcoins continue to be the bane of civilized society as a tool of crime
- Indian Personal Data Protection Bill was right in insisting that the Social Media Intermediaries need to enable the users from being identified on a voluntary basis
It is time for an Indian Twitter alternative so that we can slowly shift to the Indian alternative with a new account, new password and a new identity. But the Indian company should ensure that they go much beyond the security that Twitter provided where compromise of one administrator account could land the global commuters at risk of not only an economic crime but a political controversy of large proportions.
In the post Chinese App bans several alternatives have been announced but most of them have failed to provide even the basic functionalities, let alone security.
It appears that the Indian IT and IS professionals have a long way to go to demonstrate their IT skills before the Indian Apps make a dent in the International scenario.
Let’s hope the opportunities beckon the really talented who have presently been working for most of the International brands to turn their attention towards developing the Indian supplier market for Twitter like services.