On the 23rd Anniversary of the notification of ITA 2000 which ushered in an era of legally recognized Digital Society, Naavi.org, FDPPI, Manipal Law School are organizing a round table discussion on the theme “Jago Regulators Jago”.
Event will he held physically at Manipal Law School Campus in Yelahanka between 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm and will be available on Virtual Platform.
Prominent Speakers such as Dr Triveni, Dr Anantha Prabhu, Dr Sanjay Sahay along with industry and academia are participating in the discussions.
Those of you who want to participate either physically or virtually, may kindly register at : https://forms.gle/89p5MTpQQ35bxsJC7 or write to fdppi4privacy
In the recent days India is seeing an alarming trend where like “Dark Web” we have “Dark Villages” like Bharatpur, Jamtara, Nuh etc developing in pockets of India where the entire community has been criminalized and Cyber Crime along with Drug Trading, Terrorism etc are taking firm root. Law and Order in these places are yielding to the criminals.
In this context we would like to awaken the Regulators to initiate immediate actions to control these Cribe Crime hubs and long term plans to prevent such developments.
We believe that Cyber Crimes cannot be controlled only by creating awareness amongst the public so that we can keep blaming the victims for their ignorance. Today’s technology is inherently deceptive and enable Criminals to use deep fakes and AI aided phishing which cannot be identified by ordinary citizens whom I call as Netizens and Mr Modi call as Digital Nagariks.
We have a commitment to therefore demand that the MeitY, MHA, the Adjudicators, the RBI, CERT In etc all contribute to the control of Cyber Crimes by making fundamental changes in the Cyber Crime management in the country.
Some of the strategies that need to be considered are
- Creation of a National Cadre of Cyber Crime Police having nationwide jurisdiction so that criminals cannot sit in one State and attack the victims in other states with the shield of Jurisdictional hurdles.
- Create “Absolute Liability” for intermediaries like Banks for frauds forcing them to have impeccable security and complete coverage through insurance so that Bank Customers pushed to digital banking are not made scapegoats for new technology
- Completely ban the use of Crypto Currencies like Bitcoin so that criminals donot have their currency of cyber crime and terrorism
- Educate and Equip Adjudicators under ITA 2000 to quickly provide summary judgements and relief to the victims
- Ensure CERT In does not ignore reported Cyber Crimes and its duty to pull up negligent Intermediaries
- Ensure RBI cancels licenses of Banks in the Crime hubs openly indulging in money laundering
- Ensure that CRPF is deployed in such places where Cyber Criminals in collusion with the community elements challenge the local police.
Join the discussion and let us have your views.