It is time to recall that on 17th October 2020, we have completed 20 years of the existence of Information Technology Act 2000. The one major amendment made to the Act was in 2008. With the passage of Personal Data Protection Act some time in 2021, there will be another major amendment to ITA 2000. On that occassion apart from deletion of Section 43A, more amendments may be considered.
Naavi has suggested many times the changes required to be made to ITA 2008 and some of the articles regarding such suggestions are given below.
Drawing the attention of T K Vishwanathan Committee on ITA 2000 amendments
Proposed Amendments to ITA 2000 and Privacy Protection
Redefining the scope of ITA 2008.. in the amendments..
Suggestions on Modification of ITA 2008
Domain Name Regulation in ITA 2000..to be amended
ITA 2000/8 will remain the supreme Data Protection Law of India
Looking beyond the earlier suggestions, we need to think about the following six changes to ITA 2000.
- Introduce mandatory verified account tag to social media posts (as proposed in PDPB 2019 where it is optional) to eliminate fake accounts and reduce the fake news incidence.
- Reintroduce equivalent of Section 66A to recognize “Offences through Messages” as distinguished from “Offences through publication”
- Re issue the Section 79 notification for “Tracking” of messages
- Prevent phishing websites by making domain registrars accountable to check identity of domain registrants
- Introduce a controller of Mobile of Apps and Games to regulate malicious apps and games
- Ban Crypto currencies to choke the economy of the dark web
Also see: 20 years anniversary of ITA 2000